Gluten free Valentines day treats to bake with or for the people you love in your life.
gluten free tart crust:
. 1 cup cold water
. 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
. 2 1/2 cups (300 g) plain gluten free flour blend
. 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (60 g) coconut flour
. 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (exclude if your gluten free flour blend contains added xanthan)
. pinch of salt
. 2 tbsp (25 g) caster/superfine sugar
. 240 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
. 3 cups de-stoned and halved cherries
. 1 cup halved strawberries
. 100g caster sugar
. 4 tbsp cornflour
. 4 tbsp lemon juice
. 1 tsp vanilla paste (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
. 15 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
You will also need:
. 1 medium egg, lightly whisked for egg wash
. 1 tbsp granulated sugar for sprinkling before baking
. Your favourite ice-cream to serve
Prep time: 40 minutes
Chilling & freezing time: 1 hr 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Gluten free tart crust:
- In a cup, mix together cold water and apple cider vinegar, and place them into the freezer until needed.
- Sift together the gluten free flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- Add the butter and toss it in the flour until all butter pieces are covered with it.
- Using your hands, pinch and rub together the butter pieces and flour until you get a mix of fine pea-sized pieces and larger thumb-sized pieces.
- Add the ice-cold water & vinegar mixture, 2 tbsp at a time, and mix the pie dough with a fork until it only just comes together. You will need about 14 – 16 tbsp of water.
- Shape the dough into you’re a disc, cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Mix all cherry filling ingredients together until evenly distributed.
- Set aside until needed.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge and roll it out (between two pieces of baking paper) to a thickness of about 2-3 mm. Shape the dough into your preferred shapes. We used a muffin tin pan and tart shell cases (make sure to thoroughly spray with coconut oil)
- Arrange the filling in the middle of each tart leaving some pastry exposed
- Freeze the prepared galettes for 15 to 30 minutes. This sets the butter and ensures that the galettes keep their shape in the oven.
- While the galettes are freezing, pre-heat the oven to 200 ºC.
- Just before baking, brush any exposed pie crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the galettes in the pre-heated oven at 200 ºC for 20 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 180 ºC and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until the pie crust is a golden brown colour.
- Allow to cool and enjoy! (Or eat warm, with a scoop of ice cream.)